Monday, April 14, 2014

Rodeo Clown



Rodeo Clown

welcome to the rodeo
we call married life
i feel like a trussed up calf
but i'm the clown that risks his life

theres a wild bull you're riding
but i'm not sure if thats me
i think the one your riding
is not a member of our family


hang on there sweetheart,
your fathers at the door again
asking if you're still mad at me and 
do you even know if this will ever end

my mothers on the telephone
watching the twins each day till four
while your working at being independent
at the kragen car parts store

i wouldn't have it any other way
cept if we could be alone
but your brothers still living on the couch
and making himself at home
.
one more whiskey bottle,
one more fast food meal,
one more piece of humble pie
and i think its a pretty raw deal

i married you for better or worse
and you sure married me
we had four kids in a hurry
and i gave up being free

when i was full time at the factory
we had a life when the kids went down
but when the pink slip came in the mail
i ended up as the rodeo clown

i trusted you to give me some time
but you weren't ready for that
I lost my mind but not my life
and then you picked up my mess

i let this bad thing happen
i understand your pain
i thought we could work this out
but i guess i better think again

momma didn't raise no redneck children,
went to sunday school and mass,
spent more time in the principals office
then studying in class

i know i wasn't the smart one,
but my heart's made of gold,
i knew someday when i first met you
we be married and getting old

i still want to be in your life,
when you come home late at night
i dream we could put the past behind
and bring back what we had right

the boys are fine playing ball till supper
then homework till i turn out the lights.
i keep the girls all safe and happy
while you're in school at night

i keep hoping for the chance
that our love is still alive and true
to prove that i'm as good a dad
as the husband i can be for you.

rounding up the broken cowboys
waving off the angry bulls
one more week of shoveling pens
and then another weekend with you.

I'm used to getting knocked around
then get up and make a happy dance
you like to keep knocking me down
but please give me just one more chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment